The NCW Economic Development District is committed to fostering a positive environment in which prospective and new entrepreneurs interested in starting a business or those looking to enter a given profession can tap into a pool of experienced business owners and professionals who have navigated their industry with skill and possess a desire to give back to the economic community. In this application, the program participants will be referred to as “mentees.”
The Role of the Mentee:
- Ask for advice and guidance
- Be open to share your ideas and open to accept your mentor's feedback
- Bring questions to your mentor
- Be proactive
- Follow through on any action plans that are developed by you and your mentor
- Actively pursue your goals — be goal-oriented
- Seek out your mentor do not wait for him/her to contact you
- Proactively maintain close contact and encourage open communication
- Seek to develop career finding, networking, and resume building skills
- Be open to developing your knowledge and understanding of business
- Work to apply knowledge to the practical business world
- Be introspective — try to understand yourself, your goals, your motivations
- Maintain privacy/confidentiality
Responsibilities of the Mentee:
For the mentor program to succeed, both mentees and mentors alike must commit to establishing a partnership based on open communications and productive and proactive interaction. This requires the following:
- Actively seek out the mentor for advice.
- You should keep in contact using face-to face meetings, email, telephone, or texting.
- Establish a meeting time early on.
- Dedicate (minimum) of 10-12 hours per quarter for meeting and communication with your mentor
- Present yourself in a respectable fashion:
- Dress appropriately;
- Be punctual — always on time;
- Be prepared — always for each meeting;
- Be respectful — to all you encounter; and
- Be gracious — let people know you appreciate the time and interest in you.